sexta-feira, 21 de março de 2014

Moinhos na poesia (59)

"The Windmill"

Behold! a giant am I!
   Aloft here in my tower,
   With my granite jaws I devour
The maize, and the wheat, and the rye,
   And grind them into flour.

I look down over the farms;
   In the fields of grain I see
   The harvest that is to be,
And I fling to the air my arms,
   For I know it is all for me.

I hear the sound of flails
   Far off, from the threshing-floors
   In barns, with their open doors,
And the wind, the wind in my sails,
   Louder and louder roars.

I stand here in my place,
   With my foot on the rock below,
   And whichever way it may blow,
I meet it face to face,
   As a brave man meets his foe.

And while we wrestle and strive,
   My master, the miller, stands
   And feeds me with his hands;
For he knows who makes him thrive,
   Who makes him lord of lands.

On Sundays I take my rest;
   Church-going bells begin
   Their low, melodious din;
I cross my arms on my breast,
   And all is peace within.


Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (c. 1870)

Vede! como sou gigante!
    Na minha torre, cá em cima,
    Devoro com rijos dentes
O milho, o trigo, o centeio,
   A todos faço em farinha.

Olho as quintas, lá em baixo;
   Vejo os campos de cereal,
   A colheita que há-de vir,
Lanço os meus braços ao ar,
   Sei que é toda para mim.

Ouço o grão a ser malhado
   Ao longe, no chão das eiras,
   Nos celeiros, portas amplas,
Nas minhas velas o vento,
   Ruge com mais e mais voz.

Aqui estou, é o meu lugar,
   O pé sobre a rocha em baixo,
   De onde quer que o ar me sopre,
De rosto ao rosto o encaro,
   Qual herói ao inimigo.

Quando lutamos e suamos,
   Meu mestre, o moleiro, guarda,
   Com suas mãos me alimenta;
Conhece quem lhe dá fortuna,
   Quem das terras o faz senhor.

Aos domingos é descanso;
   Começam os sinos da igreja
   Uma grave melodia;
Os braços cruzo no peito,
   Tudo aqui dentro é só paz.


(Tradução: AIS)