sábado, 27 de dezembro de 2008

Estragos cometidos

"'Then I tell you what, young Copperfield,' said Steerforth, 'you shall tell 'em to me. I can't get to sleep very early at night, and I generally wake rather early in the morning. We'll go over 'em one after another. We'll make some regular Arabian Nights of it.'
...I felt extremely flattered by this arrangement, and we commenced carrying it into execution that very evening. What ravages I committed on my favourite authors in the course of my interpretation of them, I am not in a condition to say, and should be very unwilling to know; but I had a profound faith in them, and I had, to the best of my belief, a simple, earnest manner of narrating what I did narrate; and these qualities went a long way."

"'Faremos assim, puto Copperfield,' disse o Steerforth, 'contas-mos a mim. Não consigo adormecer logo de noite e normalmente acordo muito cedo de manhã. Correremos neles, um a seguir ao outro. Faremos uma espécie de Mil e Uma Noites.'
...Senti-me bastante lisonjeado com esta combinação, e demos em executá-la logo nessa noite. Os estragos que cometi sobre os meus autores favoritos, enquanto os ia interpretando, não estou em condições de o dizer, e nem mesmo o quereria saber; mas tinha neles uma fé profunda, e tinha, tanto quanto creio, uma maneira simples e sincera de os narrar; e estas qualidades serviam na perfeição."
(David Copperfield, cap. 7.)